File Find

In this section problems with Panofind and possible bugs can be described and help can be found
gorepj

File Find

Post by gorepj »

Good Day
Is there a way to return all files that match a file mask regardless of contents?
:?:
e.g.
J*.pas

c:\MyFolder\john.pas
c:\MyOtherFolder\john.pas
c:\MyOtherFolder\joyce.pas

etc
andre.wiethoff
Site Admin

Re: File Find

Post by andre.wiethoff »

You would search for just the filename (not the extension and also not the dot before the extension).
After searching, you would use the "arrow down" button to show advanced filtering.
The first selection box is "file type" and there you would select the appropriate file type.

So in your example it would be J* and selecting "File Type": "Document" -> "Text" -> "PAS" - but of course the search term j* is too short, so you need at least two characters to search for in connection with a wildcard.
gorepj

Post by gorepj »

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately entering J* as the search term returns all files containing that text irrespective of filename.

So if the text "John" appears in files MyText.pas and Joke.pas the search will return

MyText.pas
Joke.pas

I do not want MyText.pas returned. I only want filenames beginning with J

regards
Peter
andre.wiethoff
Site Admin

Post by andre.wiethoff »

If you only want to find files by filename, I would recommend Everything (https://www.voidtools.com/)
This will find all your files on hard disks while typing. You can use wildcards and regular expressions. Very handy tool, I use it frequently.
Everything builds only a very small index of your files on your hard disks in memory, so basically the indexing step does not take so much time.

Panofind is mainly thought for finding content within files (but of course the filename will also be checked for a match).
But of course using both tools gives you the best result for each (different) task.
gorepj

Post by gorepj »

Thank you Andre. It is a pity Panofind cannot do this. It seems to me not to be a large leap to be able to do this. I'll add it as a feature request.
kind regards
Peter